Swanton Abbott chapel celebrates 160 years
East Anglia’s last Wesleyan Reform Union chapel, in Swanton Abbott, invites everyone to a celebration of its founding 160 years ago, and its recent restoration which was completed last year.
Buried in rural north Norfolk, the Victorian Swanton Abbott building is now the only Wesleyan Reform Union chapel left in the region, according to its pastor, Peter Mitchell. Over the past decade Wesleyan chapels in north Norfolk which have closed have included those in Colby, Cawston, and Smallburgh.
Chapel supporters were determined to keep this one open when it was threatened with closure three years ago. With the aid of a grant from the Union, and the chapel’s own reserves, they carried out a £58,000 restoration, finished last May. The restored chapel now features disabled toilets and access, a new kitchen and lounge area, new carpets and chairs.
On May 28 at 3pm everyone is invited to celebrate its opening in 1856 and the successful completion of the restoration project. The service will be led by the national president of the Wesleyan Reform Union, Pastor Andy Wilcock, and will be followed by tea in the chapel.
Weekly Sunday services are held at 11am and the chapel also hosts Tuesday coffee mornings and prayer meetings, and meetings of Swanton Abbott Parish Council.
The chapel is on The Street, Swanton Abbott, near North Walsham, NR10 5DX.
This story first appeared in the North Norfolk News.
The images of the chapel were kindly supplied by Robin Vincent.
Do you have a news story or forthcoming event relating to Christians or a church in North Norfolk?
If so, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with details and, if possible a suitable picture.