Gospel choirs formed at Norfolk schools
2009: Youth Gospel Choirs have been formed at two Norfolk
High Schools with the help of Norwich Youth For Christ.
The choirs are at Framingham Earl High School and Hethersett High School and are organised by NYFC Schools Worker, Heather Feltham, who also runs NYFC's competition winning Gospel Choir.
Heather says, “What I love about the choirs is that they are forming little communities within the schools which are positive, accepting, affirming and fun. It is also amazing to see how God uses them to bless both the members and others such as teachers and the wider school communities.”
Highlights from this term include:
- Hearing from one member about how God had answered his prayer
- As part of her work experience Charley spoke to the choir about why she is a Christian and what it means for her life
- The encouragement between the choir members
- Getting to know young people better
- Seeing individual characters increase in confidence and self-esteem
- Being asked by one Headteacher to sing in a special programme for Chinese visitors to the school
- Performing at school concerts where there was a wonderful atmosphere created by the singing...and great conversations and new membership that arose from the evenings.
Members at the Framingham Earl choir were also involved in The Prince of Egypt production that NYFC and Nandanco Dance Company brought together in May. Linking up with the NYFC Gospel Choir to form the main choirs for the show, they enjoyed learning the brilliant songs and the social side! Quite a few are thinking about joining the main choir too.
Upcoming gig dates include Saturday 4 July fundraiser at Norwich Central Baptist Church, 8pm with the Cringleford Singers (tickets £5 from 01603 620678) and Sunday 19 July at Old Catton Funday.