Sheringham church make-over
2013: Worshippers at St Peters Church in Sheringham now have comfortable padded chairs instead of the century-old hard wooden ones, as part of a make-over which has also seen the wooden parquet floor re-varnished.
Nearly 350 rickety wooden chairs, which were about 100 years old and many of which were riddled with woodworm, have been sold in part exchange for the new models. And churchwardens took advantage of the clear floor to remove a century-worth of grimy dark varnish from the floor, and restore the hardwood parquet to pristine condition (pictured above).
The fabric on the new chairs was in the wine colour associated with St Peter, which has brightened up the building, and made it more welcoming. The operation had taken a little under a fortnight and the church was closed for one Sunday’s worth of services while the work was carried out.
The brick and flint church, which was built in 1897, has benefitted from a legacy from a former parishioner, which has enabled the Victorian building to be re-furbished. Some of the legacy was used last year to strip plaster off the church walls as part of a major restoration project which includes repairing leaky guttering, removing the crumbling plasterwork, and pointing the outside stonework.
Read the story at NNN24
Find out more about St Peters at http://www.stpeters-sheringham.org.uk/